Gone in 60 seconds? You bet. This Choc Protein Mug Cake cooks in the microwave in just 1 minute, so you’ll be eating dessert in less time than it takes to get through the ads in Real Housewives.
I find that protein shakes tend to bloat me up, even when I use WPI, even when I try vegan protein, even when I sip it slow and don’t use a straw. Something about the sweeteners wreaks havoc with my belly – xylitol, sorbitol and all the other ‘tols’ take a toll on my gut.
So I tend not to drink a protein shake right before work (the struggle is real, trying to hold in my belly bloat wearing Lorna Janes and training clients – bah. More like maternity wear than active wear for me.)
But for whatever reason, when I cook the protein powder such as in this Choc Protein Mug Cake, the bloat is banished. And it tastes so good, especially when topped with Greek yoghurt and nuts, that it makes for an indulgent dessert without the guilt or calorie car-crash that a chocolate brownie or Mars bar can bring. (Listen, I eat ALL my food every day. There’s no room for impulse chocolate sprees after dinner – I’ve already smacked out my calories and macros. This dessert is nothing like ‘diet food’ but it keeps me on track without any sense of giving up chocolate.)
Top Tips for Mastering Your Mug Cake
- Only fill your mug/bowl/ramekin to two-thirds. This bad boy will rise, and take it from me, a chocolate cake explosion in your microwave is a bitch to clean.
- Keep an eye on the cooking time. It all depends on your microwave settings and power. Our microwave is a 1200w and 45 seconds on high is just about perfect. 60 seconds can result in rubbery, dry cake, while 30 seconds gives you a hot chocolate mousse. Find your sweet spot.
- Track the toppings! There’s no point eating a calorie-balanced dessert, only to lash out on the nuts, maple syrup, coconut or berries on top.
What if Chocolate is Not Your Thing?
Excuse me? What is this language you speak? As a self-confessed chocoholic (I used to snaffle the cooking chocolate out of the pantry as a kid, I was that desperate!) I don’t understand you.
But I do have options for you. Of course. Just call me the Sultan of Swaps. (I know. It should be Sultana. But I don’t want you to think of me and envision a dried up old brown fruit. It’s just not kind for my self-worth )
Keep the egg, banana and baking powder, then swap the chocolate protein powder and cacao for these mouth-watering subs:
- Vanilla mug cake – vanilla protein powder, vanilla extract and maple syrup
- Sticky date mug cake – vanilla protein powder, 2 pitted medjool dates, 1tsp maca powder and 1tsp golden syrup
- Mocha mug cake – chocolate protein powder, 1 shot of espresso
Let’s get into it!
Choc Protein Mug Cake
- 30 g WPI - Chocolate or vanilla work well
- 40 g banana
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp raw cacao
- .25 tsp baking powder
- Blitz everything in a blender until smooth.
- Pour into 2 mugs or ramekins, leaving room at the top.
- Microwave for 50-60 seconds, then top with your choice of Greek yoghurt and flaked almonds, hemp seeds, Brazil nuts or blueberries.