This Kale and Chicken Frittata will change your life. Cook it fast on Sunday arvo and eat it all week long – it’s an amazing breakfast, a brilliant lunch, great for dinner with a side of oven-roasted veg and you can eat it hot, cold or anywhere in between.
If you think you don’t like kale, trust me on this. And if you don’t trust me, sub the kale for baby spinach or another leafy green of your choice.
Follow the recipe for the exact macros below, or if you’re not specifically tracking you can just chuck in any veggies you’ve got in the fridge.
Flavour Variations – Breakfast Frittata
Try these flavour combos for breakfast with a difference:
- Bacon, chilli, mushroom
- Ham, grape tomato, capsicum, sweet corn kernels
- Zucchini, broccoli, baby pea
- Chorizo, chilli, kale and parmesan – get my Chorizo Frittata recipe here
What to Serve with Your Kale & Chicken Frittata
- For breakfast – eat straight up with a drizzle of sriracha and an Evergreen Smoothie
- For morning tea – heat and eat, with a splash of Frank’s Hot Sauce and freshly cracked black pepper
- For lunch – heat in the microwave, add some re-heated oven-cooked veggies and top with cottage cheese and a swirl of sweet chilli sauce
- For dinner – serve a wedge of frittata with oven baked sweet potato fries or eggplant, roasted broccolini and asparagus.
Kale & Chicken Frittata
- 280 g leek, finely sliced
- 20 ml olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 90 g mushroom, sliced
- 265 g chicken thigh, skinless, boneless, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2 rashers short cut bacon, cut into matchsticks
- 1 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp cracked black pepper
- 220 g kale, chopped
- 50 g shredded light tasty cheese
- 80 g parmesan, grated
- 7 eggs
- 80 ml thickened light cream
- 50 ml light milk
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Cook the leek and garlic in olive oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat, until softened.
- Add the bacon, chicken and mushrooms, and cook until chicken is just opaque. Stir through the kale.
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, cheeses, cream, milk and seasoning and whisk well.
- Spray a quiche pan lightly with extra virgin olive oil spray. Scatter the kale and chicken mix evenly over the pan, then pour the egg mixture on top.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until set.