This Beet and Black Bean Burger is so full of flavour you won’t even miss the beef. If you’ve tried our Sweet Potato and Kidney Bean Vegan Burger, then wrap your laughing gear around this variation.
The secret ingredient in my Beet & Black Bean Burger
Fresh beetroot, onion, black beans, spices and a kick of apple cider vinegar come together in a full mouth punch of flavour. Vegan or not, you’ll love this burger.
True facts: As I was cooking up the veg and spices, The Prince enters the kitchen.
“What’s that SMELL?” he barks.
I duck for cover, hiding the tin of black beans and pretending the veggie mix in the pan is beef. Nonchalant AF, I tell him I’m making burgers for dinner. His favourite is your stock-standard, American style cheeseburger. Heavy on the tomato sauce, light on veggies. (Super light. Transparent, in fact.)
“That smells DELICIOUS. When will it be ready?” he replies.
In a word: winning
These burgers even have the colour and texture of a traditional burger, with the beet adding that lush colour. (Full disclaimer: this burger tastes NOTHING like a traditional American cheeseburger. Do not be fooled. It will not pass a blind taste test. But it tastes delicious all the same. Just in another way. Same, same, but different.)
Naked burger or buns out
Give them a go for your next fakeout takeout night. Or this Australia Day, for your summer BBQ lunch. I’ll be busting these out after we support Todd at his Australia Day Swim Event – 100 x 50s at Gold Coast Aquatic Centre. (You’re so welcome to come on down whether you’re a great swimmer or a hacker. Just dive in, have a swim and a laugh, then stay for the free sausage sizzle. All the details are here and it’s free to participate, just $12.50 entry at the pool.)
I do mine naked, with a salad, sauerkraut, cottage cheese and a soft fried egg on top (not vegan, but I never pretended to be – this is about the vegan burger patties, not meat-eating me). The Husband does his in a brioche bun with a kick of sriracha. You do you. And if you make them, let me know!
Vegan Burger: Beet & Black Bean
- 140 g brown onion
- 160 g beetroot
- 120 g carrot
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- .5 tsp salt
- .5 tsp black pepper
- 200 g microwave brown rice & quinoa Imperial Grain from Aldi
- 225 g black beans drained and rinsed (1 tin)
- Chuck the onion, beetroot and carrot in a blender and blitz until well grated and combined.
- In a non-stick pan, cook down the veggies with a little water until softened.
- Throw the rice and quinoa mix and drained black beans in the blender and blitz until a paste forms.
- Add the rice and bean mix to the pan, and stir through. Add the spices and cook through until fragrant and softened.
- Shape mix into 8 patties and lay each on baking paper on a tray.
- Refrigerate until firm and set (at least 1 hour).
- Cover a baking tray with a sheet of non-stick baking paper. Spray lightly with olive oil. Lay patties on the tray and spray lightly with oil. Bake in a preheated oven at 200C for 20 minutes.